Saturday, May 11, 2013

Firstgear Heated Gear Review

A couple weeks ago I had the privilege of trying out the Firstgear heated gear line. I have to say it was a love hate relationship. Here's what I used before I go any further:

As you can see I was prepared for a snow storm. Well, at least for a very chilly ride in the 30s down the Atlantic coast from PA to NC. I had tested the jacket with the glove liners a day before my trip to make sure all worked well. The following day I tested the pants and the socks, again all was well. When I started on my journey to North Carolina. I was approaching Dover, DE when the temperature began to drop. I hit the on button and WALLA.....nothing! Nothing at all! I realized the heat-troller I had didn't have enough wattage to run the whole darn suit. I was beyond pissed at that point. At the same time, as cold as I was, I really wasn't. 

(My eyes were closed, but here's a pic of the jacket)


Turns out the gear, even though not advertised, does help with wind protection. I honestly was amazed. When I pulled over to get some gas, I ended up disconnecting the bottom later and just keeping my core warm. Little did I know the jacket would become severally uncomfortable. There is heat around the collar and honestly there really doesn't need to be heat around the collar. I felt like I was going to burn my neck. The heat was so bad I ended up pulling over again and connect the bottom half instead. Boy was I a fool for that one! The pants in the thigh area were getting so freaking hot that it literally felt like someone was searing my leg with branding iron. I think if I had left the pants on I would have had third degree burns. The socks and the gloves were really the best part of the suit. The jacket being worn as a stand alone waterproof light weight riding jacket is pretty awesome too. Just not with the heat. Also, the wires, oh man the wires! There were so many wires in the jacket that they basically took up one pocket. Even in the pants the wires were annoying. The gloves and socks had a different type of technology. Seriously Firstgear or Warm&Safe (which ever you are) you need to work on the technology. Honestly, I would only recommend the glove liners.
What brand do you use? Love/hate? Let's here what you have to say about heated gear?

6 comments:

  1. We use Gerbings and have the Powerlet liner as well. Gerbings has had issues with shorts and wires burning us. We got new ones replaced under warranty and they swear they fixed this issue. I like the Gerbings liner a lot because it has hand pockets and fits less snug than the Powerlet. The powerlet is way more fitted but feels really nice under my KLIM jacket. When worn a lone it looks too tight. Gerbings wins for now...but I am glad we have two liners in house just in case one decides not to work.

    We also have warm & safe gloves as well as the Gerbings T5. Both work really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people are in love with their Gerbings gear. They do currently have a recall going on: http://gerbing.com/Recall/warningsandrecalls.php

      A friend of my Abe, ride with him all the time, has sent his Gerbings gear in twice for fixing due to wires burning out. He's only had the gear for 2yrs.

      Since working at Revzilla, I have come to find out that someone has bought out Gerbings and they are going through a massive company overhaul. Let's hope they come back and really step their technology forward.

      Delete
  2. I only have a heated vest, don't remember who makes it but there's no wires, you plug it in and it heats up to a comfortable temperature. There's no regulation, it stays at the same temperature all the time, works great and the material can even be cut with a knife and it will continue working. I hate wires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A vest you could cut with a knife and it still works....we will need the makers name when you have the time. ;)

      Delete
  3. I had the Gerbings heated vest and gloves, along with the heat controller, and wore them up to Alaska. The rain soaked into the gloves and rendered them almost useless. The vest worked great though. However, over time, the connector to the battery failed and rendered everything useless. I haven't gone back to heated gear, and focused more on thermal wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I have been using thermal wear for quite sometime. I honestly thought that the heated gear could be a replacement of layers and at this point I'm not fully convinced of that.

      I heard about CycleGear brand of thermals called "Freeze Out". Friends have mentioned that it works great in temps in the mid to high 30s. I ride all year long, I need something that can keep me warm in the 20s!

      Delete