Friday, February 22, 2013

What to do about the Sons of Anarchy Craze?

 The Sons of Anarchy craze just doesn't seem to be letting up. The 5th season of the show launched this past fall in 2012. The 4th season was the last season I watched. I lost interest in it all, when I started attending events and people started talking about adding accessories to to make their bikes look like SOA bikes. Even better, tattoos or apparel. Since then, I've just been disconnected. 

A few companies are offering the custom 1/4 fairing for HD Fat Bob bikes. While others offer derby covers, turn signal and even the fairing and bars kits in one! 


Picture provided by Alex Ben Block-The Hollywood Reporter


My question: Why on earth would you want to replicate being a 1%' er? Obviously, the show depicts a bike gang that is fictional. Nonetheless, organized motorcycle clubs still exist in this country (and world). Whether you've seen them or not, they are there!


I've rode on rides with many 1% clubs. There is an element of respect to show, as well as your own smarts of when to leave. When I lived in Arizona, I did an annual ride that was extremely popular called the Hells Angles Prison Run. I joined in cause the ride was through Pinal County. One of the most beautiful areas in the valley of the sun. There is no way on earth would I have pulled up to that ride, with a 1/4 fairing, SOA derby cover and shirt and thought I was a bad ass. A) You'd get laughed at big time! B) You'd get laughed at big time! C) You might get your ass kicked so more people can laugh at you big time!

When I lived in Milwaukee, I meet another group of riders called the Outlaws - Milwaukee Chapter. The community feared them and the cops were present anytime these guys were around. Last year I hurried back to Milwaukee from a 5,000 mile trip I had taken to Carson City, NV for an AMA event. I was rushing to get back so I could attend the Rockerbox Rally. When I got to the rally, the Outlaws were parked right in front of my friend Sue's corner store. Whether they liked or not, or even me, we were all left getting to know each other a bit more that day. I told them I just hauled ass back for this rally and they talked about their bikes. After that day anytime I saw them, I would get invites to all their events. (Never went though- no time) When they would roll in club deep to the Harley Museum Bike Nights everyone would watch them. Like time stopped. They did have some very fancy custom bikes with TV screens, gold leaf work, speaker systems and so on. I always got a head nod from them as they rolled on through. The funny thing about that, is for me, it was just another riding say hey to another rider. It's the people that are with me that always got freaked out by it. 

Nonetheless, from my experiences as a motorcyclists you should just be you. People will like you cause of you. There's nothing wrong with joining or being part of a club. I'm a AMA, HOG and RockerFoxMC member, love it! I ride with these groups cause they are part of my identity The AMA helps keeps roads safe and biker laws in our interest. HOG, is my exclusive connection into my Harley family. RockerFoxMC, is a group of women riders in Milwaukee that love to ride and motivate other women to ride. Throwing a SOA accessory on my bike, is like selling out to everything I believe in. It causes a loss of identity and increases the "idiot consumer affect" that Henry Ford Sr created when we developed the Model-T. "Ain't nobody got time for that"- Sweet Brown

10 comments:

  1. What about paying to stand in line for 4-5 hours to get a picture of someone???, that is imaginary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That as well is insane! I experienced that in 2004 at a rally in PA when the OCC guys were getting crazy popular. There were thousands and thousands of people there to see them and that didn't stop all weekend long.

      I should add that in 2010 I attended a rally as a vendor. It was in PA as well. I met Bobby from SOA, cause he walked around to meet the vendors when he wasn't being attacked by herds of people that just showed up for a picture with him and not really the rally at all. What a society we live in. Too funny!

      Delete
  2. I love the SOA vest ad at the bottom of your blog!!! LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the problem is that many riders are not satisfied with just "being you". For them, buying a Harley is about fixing their public persona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think that would the case with another motorcycle brand? BMW for example? Seems like many of those riders think no one else exists and that ADV riding is the only riding in the world. Spending upwards of thousands on accessories to have the biggest and baddest for overland. Doesn't sound much different than chroming the heck out of a Harley.

      Delete
  4. Great article! I can totally relate to your experience with the Outlaws. My wife and I ride with Christian Motorcyclist Association in Florida and over the years, we have developed some close friendships with these "bad boy bikers" We don't preach at them, we don't condemn, we simply attend their functions and help out in any way we can. Recently we put on a baby shower for one of their wives in their clubhouse. Unheard of right? Nope they are people just like everyone else. What they respond to is simple honesty and "being yourself" It has been one of the more enjoyable parts of our biker social lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment Bob! I rode with CMA in AZ as well. Actually did my motorcycle license class at the Harley dealer with a member. I bet that party was a great party! Thank you for sharing your story. Being honest, always goes a long way. We all have senses, those gut feelings, we know when people are being dishonest. We sometimes ignore or just are not tuned into to those senses as good as we should be. Something each human should work on.

      Delete
  5. I think the whole image thing is too much work. I am me, because I like who I am. I guess starting to ride later in life I really didn't care what type of bike I got, just as long as it had two wheels. I don't buy into brand hype and identity, I think if it makes you happy who cares what type of bike it is. I have experienced 'attitude' from people who ride different bikes from my Honda, right down to being told I am not a 'serious rider' because I don't do ADV riding - ugh puleese - I ride just about every day all year long, if that isn't serious riding I don't know what is. I think folks really have to be careful when they are replicating an image and they really need to be true to themselves because in the end someone may not like the image that you've earned for themselves and its sometimes harder to live that down or get away from it. Makes you go hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good points Dar. Thank you for taking the time to add your feedback. I tell people all the time, ride what you ride, and ride your own ride. Motorcycling is a sport and there are many bike choices for us to make in order to enjoy the sport.

      Delete